Introducing the FireStorm™, by Mountain Models. The FireStorm™ is a high quality laser cut airplane kit. The 47 inch FireStorm™ was designed to provide a simple building, lightweight but durable, smooth flying "Sport Pattern" plane.
The FireStorm™ was designed to accept retracts (either GP 10 or Robart 1/2A) from the start. Nice fast low passes with the gear up look and feel beautiful. The kit does come with fixed gear as a standard build, but the retracts and fixed gear are interchangeable.
The FireStorm™ does all the pattern maneuvers with ease. It's lightweight airframe still lets it slow down very nicely for slow flight and landing. Stength was not sacrificed to get a lower weight though, and it has taken some fairly decent abuse by early test pilots. Although designed as a taildragger, there is an extra set of landing gear mounts already designed in the wing for those wanting to try a trike gear setup.
The FireStorm™ is built from self-jigging interlocking laser cut balsa and plywood parts. It's like a 3D jigsaw puzzle with instructions. Although not needed for building, full size plans are included for reference. If the instructions are read before hand and followed during the build, the FireStorm™ can be framed up in 6 hours or less.
All hardware is included in the kit so you don't have to spend any extra cash or trips to the hobby shop. It even includes servo connectors for the optional retracts.
Best of all, unline most these days, this airplane kit is proudly MADE IN THE USA!
See the specifications tab for detailed specifications and reccomended power systems.
- Wingspan: 47.1 in
- Length: 46.3 in
- Wing Area: 425 sq in
- Flying Weight: 32 to 36 oz
- Wing Loding: 10.8 to 12.2 oz/sq ft
- Controls: 4 to 5 (Rudder, Elevator, Ailerons (2 servos), Throttle,
- Power: Scorpion 3008- (137 Watts/Pound) or Scorpion 3014 (222
- Battery: 3S-2200 LiPo (or 4S, depending on motor and prop)
- Laser Cut balsa and plywood
- Vac-Formed canopy and cowling
- Full size CAD drawn plans
- CAD illustrated instruction manual
- Landing Gear Wire
- 2" DuBro Wheels
- 1" DuBro Tail Wheel
- DuBro EZ Servo Connectors
- Hatch Magnets
- Motor mounting hardware
- Screws, Velcro, Etc.
Needed to Complete:
- Power Option 1: Scorpion 3014-1040
- 3S LiPo: APC 10x10E = 40 Amps, 405 Watts, 79 MPH
Pitch Speed, 43 oz thrust
- 3S LiPo: APC 11x8.5E = 40 Amps, 405 Watts, 67 MPH Pitch Speed,
60 oz thrust
- 4S LiPo: APC 10x7E = 41 Amps, 430 Watts, 74 MPH Pitch Speed, 74
- Power Option 2: Scorpion 3014-1220
- 3S LiPo: APC 9x9E = 45 Amps, 472 Watts, 85 MPH, 46 oz
- 3S LiPo: APC 10x7E = 40 Amps, 472 Watts, 67 MPH Pitch Speed, 61
- 4S LiPo: APC 9x6E = 45 Amps, 630 Watts, 78 MPH Pitch Speed, 77
- Power Option 3: Scorpion 3008-1220
- 3S LiPo: APC 9x7.5E = 30 Amps, 318 Watts, 67
MPH Pitch Speed, 42 oz thrust
- Power Option 4: Scorpion 3008-1090
- 3S LiPo: APC 10x7E = 24 Amps, 252 Watts, 55 MPH
Pitch Speed, 40 oz thrust
- 4S LiPo: APC 8x6E = 24 Amps, 336 Watts, 67 MPH Pitch
Speed, 41 oz thrust
- Speed Control (Scorpion 35A to 55A, depending on
- Battery (20C 3S or 4S-2200)
- 4+ Channel RX and TX
- 4 ea. Hitec HS-65 Servos
- 2 ea. 12" Servo Extensions
- 2 ea. 18" Servo Extensions
- 1 ea. Servo Y-Extension for Aileron Servos (if not using 6-7 ch. RX)
- 2 ea. Rolls SolarFilm Covering
- 2" Spinner
- Hobby knife and blades
- Pliers, screwdrivers, etc.
- Covering Iron
- Thin and Thick CA
- 5 to 15 minute epoxy
- Soldering Iron
- Soldering paste/flux
The current version of the manual is 1.0: FireStorm Manual (2.15 MB)